Toad2 – Reading02

“First Word Art / Last Word Art” by Michael Naimark identifies two types of art first word art – exploratory experimental art, and last word art – art that strives to achieve peak excellence within its defined genre.  After this reading, I realize I often strive to create Last Word art. This probably stems from my foundations in traditional media. However, as I work create work using digital tools, I can’t help but feel like I’m automatically creating First Word Art since these digital tools are all relatively new and so the rules of its medium are relatively new or undefined. However, I feel like the lack of rules and definitions for First Word art lead to the rules of other forms art being applied to the new form of art being created.

The idea of technology shaping culture makes me think about how music streaming platforms have changed the way artists create music and release albums as they strive to create content that will be promoted by the algorithm as well as take advantage of the platforms structure. The most notable examples of this is how shorter songs are favored and songs that introduce the chorus early. The introduction of this new technology changing what can end up as Last Word art since the music most paid attention to will be the art immortalized the public mind.