lampsauce-CriticalInterface

Tenet 9. Can we make the invisible visible? The more present interfaces are in our lives, the less we perceive them.

• Don’t use emoticons: just send oral-spoken messages to say you hate it! “I’m blind cos I see images” (Mahmud Shabistari) (1>)(P)(W)(+c)
  • How many times do you remember you’re shifting gears when driving? Speak the gear number loud every time you do it.(P)(1)(-c)
  • Use your smartphone with your toe (or your tongue) https://vimeo.com/104791815 (A)(+c)(1>)
I found this tenet interesting because the pervasiveness of interfaces. Often times great video editing goes unnoticed because it allows the view to be engrossed in the video. By contrast, glaring discontinuities (bad jumpcuts, etc) are very easily noticed. I think interfaces are similarly invisible, and only really noticeable when you look for it. Something as simple as the way someone organizes their files or their IDE preferences are all invisible to us, till we go to someone else's computer. I think this tenet is interesting because it considers interfaces which are so universal, such as gear shifts.

Some other examples of invisible interfaces include literal interactions like Bluetooth and forks and knives and writing utensils. Other examples that support this tenet include checking out at a grocery store. While the latter example may be evolving due to COVID and self-checkout, the idea of a conveyor belt to move groceries four feet forward often goes unnoticed.