dinkolas-Proposal

I plan on making an elaborate generative multiples series. I was inspired by the Ralph Bakshi animated film Wizards, and looked into it. Some of the design was done by Ian Miller, who makes drawings like this:

Heaviest of Art on Twitter: "The H.P. Lovecraft inspired work of Ian Miller. #HeaviestofArt… "

I realize I can’t get things quite this elaborate in a generative way in just a couple weeks, but my plan is to attempt some of these elements (there are a few surprisingly algorithmic things in here, like circle packing, fields). The tentacles overlapping/twisting/winding is particularly appealing to me, along with the particular blend of 2D elements (I’d consider the mouths with teeth fairly flat), 2.5D elements (sections of tentacles that are organized in a way to be compelling in 2D, but have overlaps), and 3D elements (the ground platforms, overall depth of the image). I would also like to replicate some of the hatching style, although I can count at least 4 distinct hatching techniques in the image above.

I’ve already begun experimenting with some 2.5D tentacle braiding, although not much.

11/08 – Fully functioning boolean operations with polylines, lines. Tubes algorithm complete.

11/15 – 2d elements to cap tubes, tests w arrangements of tubes/caps

11/22 – 3d tube caps, layering. potentially more scattered 2d elements throughout layers (like the black sphere on the ground, or the human figure). potentially sky field design, although that is very much a stretch goal.

11/29 – multi color plots with 3d, 2d, and tubes.