marimonda – blobfamily

Hello!

Ever thought of making comics with code? I sure did! Hence why I decided to make this my blob assignment 😀

This project looks deceptively simple, but each iteration is unique, from the number of panels to the type of bubble or type used.

I feel like my composition is quite simple in comparison to some of the other plots in the class that exploited detail as a way to apply to hatch. I took it in a separate direction and thought about the personification of blobs, especially in the common language we use for comics.

I have been wanting to make generative comics and a great way to start that is by creating my very own speech bubbles! I created four types of speech bubbles, all of which had pretty different implementations. The hardest one to implement was the thought bubble, in large part because it had nontrivial amounts of trigonometry in it. Manipulating Hershey fonts was also tricky because I had to estimate the size of the Hershey font itself to implement my own centered text boxes to use in comics.

I also utilized meatballs to create the villi-like characters. One thing I wish I had done better was to manipulate the compositions of each panel a bit more and using context to create a cohesive conversation.

All in all, I learned a lot. I relearned trig, I learned how to use metaballs and most importantly I made the first step in making plotter comics!