stickz – MidSemester

1 Version with Marker and Paint additions

Close-up Shots

Another Version without additions

I altered my previous blob assignment for my mid-semester project, where I was really interested in adding elements like paint and mark-making to improve upon my Dalí inspired clocks. Some major changes were that I altered the sizing of the drawing, resizing the elements and scaling up the work, along with adding more clocks with variable clock-times and bringing more elements into the composition. Of 40 variations of generated, updated blobs, I selected 2 that I thought looked the most interesting on screen, and plotted them. I then added a plastic covering that serves as protection and also a layer to preserve the drawing, while being able to add color and paint to the drawings. 
The inspiration behind the paint and markers that I added to the artwork had to do with Dalís exploration of texture, specifically ideas that play with softness and hardness in The Persistence of Memory. I approached the painting process with a focus on emphasizing the hardness, yet softness of acrylic paint, creating the 3D effects of the clock hands by squirting out paint from a tiny piping bag, while adding texture and paint to reveal the texture and dimensionality of the paint through protruding and layered surfaces. With the paint and neon markers, I made the decision to go crazy on the colors to create a more playful painting. I didn’t want to copy the color scheme, but I definitely could have benefitted from testing color combinations and making the best color scheme possible.
Looking back, the plotting and the painting did not come out as desired. The paint lost a lot of its dimensionality, where the hands of the clocks flattened out and a lot of the 3D texture that existed when the paint was wet flattened out in the drying process. I also should have been more intentional with color, and should have gone all the way with the paint or have more intentional areas; it was difficult trying to keep some elements of the hatching (not covering up the plotter marks) and choosing where to put paint. Along with the plotters, I realized sizing up is difficult, where material changes and the physical properties of the drawings can change. I think my smaller iterations were more successful, where material choices and composition of lines and line-width should be reconsidered. I realized that viewing the image from the computer screen and what comes out from the plotter certainly matters a lot, and needs to be tinkered with.
Some other versions (SVGS)

Original Blob's Assignment