Pollinators: temporal capture idea

Inspired by David Rokeby’s Plot Against Time series, I thought it would be interesting to apply this “long exposure” (or what looks like video processing) idea towards the subject of pollinators in my community farm’s herb garden (Garfield Community Farm).

In particular, I’m interested in a  (slightly) more micro scale than Rokeyby’s typical camera position. One photographer’s work, David Liittschwager’s “biocubes,” provides a compelling new form factor to study the motion of pollinators in one space. This is because the diversity of pollinators in an herb garden is critical to that garden’s health. An abundance of pollinators (bees, flies, other insects) can be best appreciated up close; a ton of movement and activity happens in the herb garden in a very small space.

Slightly closer than this framing would be an optimal scale for observing pollinators in the garden. The pollinator activity in this beebalm patch would be off the charts!

Liittschwager’s study of life in 1-cubic foot, coupled with Rokeyby’s video processing for movement could provide an interesting look into the pollinators of Garfield Community Farm’s herb garden.