Person in Time Project Ideas

1.) Body as Loop

I’ve been working on a zoetrope with 3d printed lithophanes (3d prints thin enough to shine a light through so that you can see an image) for my Sculpture After The Internet Class and I would like to expand it for this second project. The way the motor is set up I believe I can attach a centre point so that I could have multiple of these zoetropes running off the same motor, ie have lots of loops in sync. With this in mind, I’m pretty interested in the idea of the body as loop (the current iteration has me jumping as it’s framework) and so I would like to have multiple zoetropes with multiple body loops (walk cycle, swinging arms, jumping, rolling on the floor etc) running at the same time.

2.) Love in the Motion Capture Century

Largely inspired by Ayako Kanda and Mayuka Hayashi’s x-ray portraits, I would like to create a series of either animations or still portraits using couples in the motion capture studio. I am particularly interested in how the system is going to figure out the space/blocked sensors between people and whether or not they’ll turn in a symbolic digital blobs under these conditions. [I also want to expand these into large scale/human scaled silk screen prints given the time] // [Could also try to incorporate parallel DepthKit recordings and map the motion tracking to them? Not sure how to technically do this]

3.) Disney’s brain is in a jar

Using photogrammetry (and indeed it’s capability and need for surface) I want to create a series of prints that will essentially make a pseudo 3d model of a human head. This would be silkscreens on a series of plastic sheets to build up a 3d form through looking through them. I am particularly interested in how it is going to negotiate the space inside the form, and indeed dialogue over capturing the inside of bodies through technologies meant for the surface of things.