End-of-semester plan

The main project I plan to work on for the rest of the semester is a video portrait of passing chaotic time in my current apartment.

It will be an extension of the person-in-time assignment. My initial idea was to create a portrait of my friend through capturing her apartment. In the last two weeks, I have realized however how much me and my things are engrossed in this space. It begins to seem difficult to pick out what’s mine and what’s hers. So instead I decided to accept the hybridity of this apartment right now and capture it all together. I guess the goal now is not to portray an individual, but a transient space and chaotic time, a temporary home for people who are about to graduate from this town in a few weeks.

I have been playing around with green screening — me doing various mundane things in a green suit, passing time. I want to interpose videos of different time scale on top of each other to create a sense of disorientation.

To try to stay disciplined, I set three deliverable deadlines: Thu 4/16, Tue 4/21, Tue 4/27.

On the side, I also want to do some small green screening experiments, perhaps something with puppetry, collages, and stop-motion animation. I have been really into Terry Gilliam animations, so I might want to play around with creating small animations with interesting objects I found in the apartment.