Completed Digital Repeat Pattern – Kimberly

After doing the first swatches, the more I looked at my pattern, the more I disliked it which led me to starting over. I was inspired by a bouquet of flowers and the somewhat “sketchy” art style that I really love.

The following photo were my starting elements for the pattern. I left them simple so that I could drag and drop pieces around one another and sort of mismatch leaves and stems.

starting flower and leaf elements

From there, I created a large number of swatches, mixing color schemes and playing with negative spaces/colors. I love the one in the top middle since it’s very toned down, clean, and simple but I had a random stem in the top left of the patter that really bothered me.

swatches from illustrator

My final pattern is that on the bottom right where I was able to fill in the space to create more of a full, meadow effect rather than a bouquet of flowers. This was using a hex by column repeat that allowed me to get each individual swatch very close together.

single block
final print

I can see this being on a planner in Target which is very niche theme but it really does give me that feeling.