Digital Repeat Pattern – Jasmine

For the digital repeat pattern assignment, I chose to go with theme 3, of my environment. I sketched out some objects that were on my desk. While sketching, I started to notice a theme, so I ended up keeping some of the objects, such as earrings and a hairtie out of my pattern. I ended up doing two color variations- one a more neutral colored, and one being an almost complementary blue and yellow theme.

Some things I had the most trouble with were adding color to my sketches. I had some trouble selecting in between spaces, which influenced me to create a colored linework pattern instead. In addition, by using linework, I feel that the pattern develops two different scales from being viewed from further away or from a closer distance. A big challenge was definitely coloring certain areas and not others. This may be easier if I started out with a sketch with entirely closed lines, but I really wanted to keep the lightness of the sketch by using broken lines. Moving forward, I might want to add more objects to my pattern, in order to fill up some of the emptier spaces.