Digital Repeat Pattern – Jasmine

For my patterned cloth from the past, I chose Sarah Lipska’s textile design. This sample is a piece of embroidered cloth by the Polish artist, originating from 1927.

I was interested in this design mainly because of the interest created by the repeating pattern of lines. The choice of color also allows the pattern to pop. While the pattern is just something as simple and continous lines, there is depth created by turning them in right angles. When we look closer, we can notice that there is an intention in whether the threads cross over, go under, or intertwine with the other threads.

Featherlight” is the pattern I chose for my contemporary pattern reference. It has a similar color scheme to the previous pattern, but the blue is even more striking due to the sheen of the materials used.

I was especially interested by this pattern because of how it doesn’t even seem like a repeating pattern. The pattern has a sense of figure-ground, and the way that they overlap each other also create a sense of depth with the black background. When looking at the pattern up close, it can easily be seen that they are feathers. However, when looking from further away, the pattern becomes more of a pattern of colors and makes it harder to distinguish what the objects are.