Encoded Cloth from the Future – Jesse Wallace

For this project, I wanted to express the absolute hopelessness that comes along with living in the world today. I brainstormed imagery of nuclear war, climate change, or even another outbreak because I wanted to convey the grim reality of the inevitable destruction that will come in the coming years. However, in brainstorming, I faced the reality that we will all likely be trying to navigate our individual lives during that. There will be new fashion trends and phases and new trendy food to eat and new people in all of our lives. The uncertainty is overwhelming, and that feeling is exactly what I wanted to capture in this piece.

My encoded cloth – capturing the uncertainty of inevitable doom.

I chose to use a jean jacket as a connection to the things in life that won’t change – Jean is such a classic fashion material and I doubt it will ever go “out of style”. I don’t know anything in life for sure, but I’m almost positive 2030 will have jeans.

Wearing my Doom Jacket.

The biggest piece of this textile was the tapestry. I have really enjoyed weaving and chose to connect the weaving theme to the theme of uncertainty. The overall look is of destruction and explosive doom, but there are hints of green and yellow to indicate climate change as well.

Finally, I added a heart that is slowly turning black, to represent the inevitable heart-wrenching challenges we will all have to face in 2030.

One aspect of this project that surprised me- I went for a hopeless, destructive piece, but in putting my energy into weaving I felt as if I created something beautiful from the pain I was expecting to portray. It was honestly really heartwarming, and made me think about my mentality about the world.