Independent Project Proposal – Annie

With my final project, I want to explore childhood fantasies through embroidery on a denim jacket. Video gaming was a source of escapism for me when I was young, and this one game, Okami, really made an impact on me. Okami is a game which combines Japanese folklore and mythology, and you play as a a wolf goddess running around the country while wielding your powers through a brush. In this game, your drawings literally come to life and your power levels come from people’s faith. I wanted to convey those concepts, artistic freedom and self-belief, through this project, and so I took the one of the final weapons of the game and designed it so it would fit on the back of a jacket.

I’m planning on using an appliqued felt piece for the red circle (mostly since it would be very difficult to embroider something of that size and I’m running out of red thread), and embroidering the darker flames onto it. For the rest of the designs, I’m planning on using embroidery thread since I can create different textures and different thicknesses using those. Given that, I’m thinking of creating more elevated areas in the centers of the swirls.

Timeline

Week 1 (11/24-11/27): embroider red piece and applique it to jacket

Week 2 (11/27-12/4): embroider back of jacket

Week 3 (12/4 – due date): embroider sleeve