Mending – Erica Fu

I continued on with my mending of the pocket, mending the sides of the pocket to reinforce the structure. Since I originally undid and resewed the pocket on my sewing machine when experimenting, the pocket was extremely loose and was starting to rip. I used the same blue and yellow threads to create a pattern of similar direction and purpose, but different shape. I think that created a very interesting effect as it added direction and movement to the cloth and the originally very static and boxy shape of the jacket.

However, I do wish that I planned more before weaving. Originally my goal was to just reinforce the pocket so I did plan to extend the blue and yellow threads onto the side of the jacket as well. Because of this, the weaving is quite low on the shoulder, reaching near the armpit and creasing which covers up a lot of my work. Next time, I will be sure to think about how this 2d fabric would translate when put on a 3d shape.

Overall, this was extremely fun and rewarding and I now love how the colors made the jacket look a little more retro with pops of color which reflects my current style more.