Tapestry Weaving – Annie

Through this tapestry, I wanted to explore how humanity has affected the ocean. I wanted to make it vibrant, as we usually see images of coral reefs and through media, but interweave bits of plastic through both the jellyfish and the ocean to symbolize the effects of littering such as the Great Pacific garbage patch. The bits of green which are slowly being swallowed up by the expanse of blue and purple show the effects of rising oceans as climate change gets worse and worse.

Using soumaks to create a piling up effect and adding depth, lonzenges to create movement within the tapestry, rya knots to create jellyfish tentacles, and diagonal interlocks to create the round shapes were some successes. I also really liked how the fish net effect turned out on top. I had a difficult time figuring out how to keep my edges even during the vertical striped segment, and also had a hard time figuring out how to incorporate the ending techniques so they would look like part of the jellyfishes. I was surprised by how well the plastic worked for the jellyfish.

Total Time Spent: ~12 hrs