Tapestry Weaving – Jasmine Lee

This is my complete tapestry weaving after taking it off of the loom.

Full view of the tapestry weaving

When I first started this weaving, I focused on using learning the different techniques. I started out with creating horizontal lines, then a diagonal interlock, and vertical bars. I divided the three sections by leaving them separated by a slit. I also used rya knots to create the piling above the diagonal interlock.

Close-up of the weaving, showing the attached beads.

One of the biggest challenges in this weaving was the brown section with the braided/wrapped warp threads. Even though the piece was done on a cardboard loom, this technique made it hard to keep the warp threads even due to how tight the weft had to be wrapped. It was also challenging to keep the weft tight, because when pushed down it would pile up and create some bunching. I learned how to better overcome this in the wrapped section on the right (which is slightly neater) by always having the thread in my left hand, and doing the weaving completely with my right hand. This helped me keep an even tension.

While it did take an especially long amount of time, this section ended up being one of my favorite parts of the tapestry. I think the negative space it added really helped to balance out the more visually heavy parts on the top and bottom.

Close-up of tapestry showing gaps in the weaving.

I tried to echo the gaps by leaving some rows unfinished as I was near the top of the weaving. I was able to test out soumak knots and ghiordes knots (uncut) in this section. The red and the beads were also added for visual interest, as I thought the weaving was feeling a little too neutral and unbalanced due to the very visually heaving piling in the lower left.

Overall, I spent about 13 hours on this piece. I really like the asymmetry and how the colors came out. I am very happy that I was able to try so many techniques in one piece.