Assignment 4 – Rachel Kim

The goal of this assignment was to learn how to make patterns from a pre-existing object and replicate it in a soft form. For this assignment, I chose to recreate my portable mouse in a soft form because I wanted to make a replication of an object that I use everyday.

At the beginning, I thought it would be much easier than the last assignment since we are making it with fabric in a smaller scale. Therefore, I did not have any concerns when I chose a mouse as my object. It was quite small but I thought I can absolutely handle that. Also, because I was very familiar with creating own patterns from the experience of the second assignment, I easily created patterns of a mouse without any consideration. I quickly realised that I was wrong when I started to pin patterns together. I also did pin on my hand many times and did make many mistakes while sewing. Because this assignment is making a three dimensional object and particularly my object has many arc shapes, patterns do not fit perfectly together and it was also a big problem for this assignment. When I eventually finished with making it, I was not satisfied and there were many parts that I did not like. In particular, some important concave and arc shapes for hands were missed. I carefully sewed for making those shapes but what came out was greatly different from what I expected.

From this assignment, I learned how to create patterns of an object in a very effective way. Next time, I would like to replicate my mouse in a larger scale in order to make many features that I missed and skipped due to their hardness to be done.