Assignment 4: Patrick Gao

For the subject of my Doppelganger, I chose to replicate a PS3 controller. While patterning, I already suspected that the construction process would be difficult due to the many round seams and overall round shape of the controller. This was especially apparent when I had to match the seams after I had cut the patterns out, as I had trouble finding which piece was supposed to go where. Furthermore, the pieces needed to be manipulated to form a uniform seam over which I could sew with the sewing machine, but this required a lot of pins that made sewing harder on a small scale. As a result, there were a lot of parts that required hand sewing. However, I learned a lot about how seams can affect the final shape of an object, and by having curved seams the final object will look rounder and more dynamic. If I were to redo this project, I would have scaled the pieces up so that the construction would be easier, as well as label each piece more carefully with line marks along to the seams to which I could match pieces together. I chose to leave to details from the actual PS3 controller out such as the buttons and the joysticks because I liked the simplicity of the doppelganger. It brings out the seam lines which show how the pieces were patterned together, something that is absent on the actual controller itself.