Improvisation Inflatables – Adrienne Wang

For this project, I wanted to experiment with how different shapes could come together with straight or curved edges. For my three inflatables, I constructed them using different kinds of seams and different colors of plastic. Throughout construction, I took risks in not knowing what the final structure would look like, but also focused on making sure it could inflate with air in the end.

Inflatable #1:

For my first inflatable, I cut two layers of a white plastic bag into an abstract shape with smooth round edges. Instead of connecting these two pieces directly together, I used an equal-width strip to connect them and add more volume. I found it challenging to use the double-sided tape to connect curved edges, since I could only use a very small strip of tape at a time to maintain the curved shape.

Inflatable #2:

For my second inflatable, I experimented with connecting many smaller pieces of plastic to create a larger structure. I began with cutting small circles and then folded each circle into equilateral triangles. I used tape to connect the straight edges of the triangles together while leaving the round edge of the circle exposed outside of the seam. I discovered that triangles are a very versatile shape in making 3D structures, since not only were they easier to put together, but also inflated easily into this final structure.

Inflatable #3:

I approached my third inflatable by challenging myself with using one continuous piece of plastic cut in an abnormal shape to create a structure. I cut pink plastic in a continuous spiral and reconnected the spiral on an angle to create a 3D structure. I was surprised by how much this structure expands when inflated with air because of the layers of the spiral. This structure also reminded me of candy after construction, so I decided to use a longer straw to complete its resemblance to a lollipop.