Push/Pull Objects

In this project, I experimented and learned different manipulation techniques and methods in sewing by creating stuffed objects.

Object 01.

My first object started with two pieces of fabric, one white and one black. I had wanted to initially experiment with darting, but this ended up becoming more of an exploration on tunnels. I chose red as my third color to highlight the special moments and interactions happening within and without.

This object turned out much larger than I anticipated. I was left with a rather curved form, which was a happy accident. In this, I also learned a bit about binding and restriction. I did not approach this object which much of a vision in mind, at some point I just went with what fabric was hanging on the ends to close it off.

Object 02.

For my second object, I wanted to better refine my tunnels, as in the previous object, I had accidentally left an opening. This object was challenging to figure out in terms of connection and functionality. This resulted in a slightly less systematic process of creation. However, it actually added to the character of the object in that pulling each ball resulted in a different reaction.

Object 03.

My last object was surprisingly the most difficult to make. Despite it being its original form of a cone, the detailing of the exterior, zipper, and interior posed a big challenge for me. I had a lot of trouble figuring out the logic behind how the red interior would be attached to the rest of the cone, while being able to open and not be exposed when it was unzipped. I think that in the future I would definitely be more cautious about my seam allowances.

Visual Portfolio, Posts & Image Gallery for WordPress