- Find your Pi’s hardware address
- open a terminal session on pi: either directly on the rPi or through SSH.
- look for the
wlan0 section and copy the
HWaddr (it will look something like
- copy this address someplace handy; you’ll need it later.
- Go to cmu netreg, click “enter” and sign in with CMU credentials
- Click the “Register New Machine” link
- Under ‘Network’, select ‘wireless network’ and click continue.
- Choose a name for your machine’s DNS.
- Enter the hardware address you found earlier in the Hardware Address field and click continue.
- You should then see a confirmation page with your machine’s hostname. Copy that url. for example: SIMONRASPI.WV.CC.CMU.EDU.
- It can take up to a day for your machine to be registered, but it usually takes about an hour. Once registered, your raspberry pi will be able to access the internet through its LAN connection.
- You can now use this hostname for SSH or Samba connections.
** if you change the image on your SD card, you may need to re-register your machine on the wifi network.