In the Kindergarten classroom, something that struck me was that when a student accomplishes something, they go up and flicker the light switch, which grabs everyone’s attention, then the teacher yells “congrats *insert name here* on finishing the art challenge!”, and then everyone cheers for them. I thought it was so interesting how something as simple as the power to switch on and off the lights can give a child a sense of Industry. And it was the kid himself that goes up to flicker the switch, not the teacher (sort of like a signal for “hey guys look! I did it!”). This action also promoted peers to support each other, so not only was the person who flickers the lights feeling accomplished, but also everyone else in the classroom cheered them on and are happy that their peers finished the “art challenge”.

Going off that, a more specific scenario was when a kid flickered the light, then 2 of his peers came up to him so excited saying “good job!” and “can you show me what you did?” I was excited to see other kids taking an interest in someone else’s accomplishments, too. Which some would argue is the step after Industry; learning how to celebrate not only your accomplishments, but the accomplishments of others.