During the Children’s School visit, I observed children from all of the school’s age groups. However, I mostly stayed with the Kindergarten children because they had the opportunity to choose which activities they wanted to do on their own. Some activities were mandatory, like the bear counting and making a collage of their family. Other activities such as the dice game and the building blocks were free choice.

I noticed that most children didn’t like doing the mandatory activities. Some students got frustrated with the family collage activity and almost started to cry. They wanted to make a collage different from what they were told. This shows that children like to make their own designs and don’t enjoy projects in which there are strict rules to follow.

The activity that a lot of kids seemed to enjoy was the flat building pieces that they made into houses. This activity has a lot of room for creativity, and there’s no correct answer for making a building. Also, I observed that kids are drawn to games of chance, such as board games with dice. I think this is because the outcomes are endless, so it’s less likely for them to get bored. Not knowing what is going to happen next seems to capture the children’s attention. I’ll definitely keep these observations in mind as I think about project ideas for the future.