As soon as I entered the room with the 4 year old children, I observed one of the more intriguing experiences the children were having. There was a group of children surrounding a teacher. Wherever the teacher moved, they followed. However, their attention was not on the teacher. It was on another thing moving and jumping around on the floor- a grasshopper.

The grasshopper hopped around randomly, and the children, along with the teacher, chased it. The bunch of children were behind the teacher and were eagerly watching it move, while the teacher tried to catch it in a cup. Once the teacher managed to trap the grasshopper in a cup, they looked at it closely and then followed the teacher all the way outside to see it getting thrown out. Meanwhile, some of the children were trying to figure out what insect got caught which was invoked by another teacher. They tried to relate it to what they had seen before.

After this entire event took place, I could conclude that the children were intrigued by erratic movement. A movement that they could not predict surprised them. Furthermore, movement in the 3 dimensions captured their attention even more. This gives rise to good ideas for the demo which we will be preparing for them.