I observed children from all 3 age groups during our visit to the children’s school. One thing that stood out to me is that activities that either required the children to create something, solve some problem, or compete in some way seemed to be the most engaging activities for them and would keep their attention for the longest.

In order to catch the children’s interest very quickly, the adults would use songs or create some sort of impromptu contest that prompted the children to behave or quiet down quickly. It was often hard to keep the children this way though.

One specific event that I found very interesting was when they squeezed their own orange juice. Even though they were being helped and walked through the whole process by an adult, the fact that they created something and were then able to not only see or feel it, but also taste it, was very powerful for them. I don’t remember seeing any children who were not intrigued by this activity unless they were already aware that they disliked orange juice or were unable to drink it. They created something so tangible through their own efforts, and that really engaged them (until they finished drinking their juice).