I created this setup with one string that ties together, stitched along the perimeter of the entire cloth, and two strings knotted at opposite ends going diagonal through the cloth with the pattern of diamond touching at the top and bottom on a line. I attached two strings to the corner pieces of the perimeter string (not the side opposite of it’s origin) to allow the shape to expand when being unraveled.

I thought it was quite fascinating seeing the cloth ripple and expand/collapse with each pull of the perimeter string. The diagonal strings didn’t function to the level that I thought they would – similar to in class how the cloth completely bunches at the center/becomes straight depending on which string is being pulled, despite the rigging being accurate and attached to different capstans. The cloth functioned perfectly fine when not attached to the capstan bench but I think the restrictions of the other mechanism prevented the diagonals from doing their job properly. The two rods holding the entire setup also had the tendency to move closer to each other at times despite my attempts to tighten them into place.