jcrisafu – Assignment 2: aleatoric strangulation

Ooo, we done did it again, folks. And this time, it’s even more personal. It’s revenge.

the new behemoth

This Max patch involves feeding random numbers into the parameters for line objects, thereby forcing the audio to stretch itself out and come back together haphazardly. Initially, I was going to use this on the individually stems of a string quartet, so that each instrument would phase in and out of tune and tempo with each other. However, this was unlistenable, and in a not fun way.

the deceptively simple set-up I ended up with

And so, I turned to using Jacob Collier’s “Moon River” as a source audio, because I think it’s a very bad arrangement, and the way my patch was working with it almost… made sense? Modulating on top of the aggressive modulations within the track as it already stood to, on occasion, tone it down a notch, before absolutely spiraling out again.

If you have the opportunity, I would really recommend feeding whatever you can think of into this machine. Other working sources included the vocal stems to Michael Jackson’s “Don’t Stop Til You Get Enough” and Ariana Grande’s “NASA”, as well as “Small Shock” by Toby Fox.

The one thing I wish I could have accomplish with this is that, as I was writing the subpatch, I was trying to use regular line objects (as opposed to line~) to create a ramp so that the pitches would slide smoothly up and down by cents. This proved to be far more challenging for me than I initially thought. Hopefully I will go back to this once I have more experience (and with a Max license that’s paid for).

Here’s the link to my Google Drive folder for this assignment, including all patches, the original audio, and a Doc with the compressed code.