William Lamkin

Final Documentation 12-14-20

(1. Gumball machine with finished capsules inside.)

(2. The four capsule types and what they contain.)

(3. All of the insert suggestion slips laid out.)

(4. Another picture of the gumball machine, empty.)

(5. Capsules in hand, for size comparison.)

(6. An example of multiple capsule types combined.)

(7. Video demo.)

Narrative Description:

Gachaplunk is a collection of capsule toys designed to be used as instruments, with the ability to combine and mix the capsules to produce increasingly complex and unique instruments the more capsules one has. The capsules are contained in a gumball machine placed in a public place, meant to be obtained one at a time and played with on one’s own time. The nature of the gumball machine means that there is an element of chance in obtaining a capsule outside the user’s control. Each capsule is a toy within itself, containing a component that allows it to be interacted with alone or together with multiple other capsules if desired. Each capsule also contains a fortune cookie-inspired “suggestion”, which provides a thematic idea in order to inspire new modes of use. Through the interlocking systems of physical component, thematic idea and the ways these can be extended and combined, each user can create systems completely specific to themselves and their own collection. This is designed to create an environment for exploration, chance, abstract thinking, and growth over time.

Five Process Images:

(1. Spray-painting the capsules.)

(2. My original ideation for the project.)

(3. Original order of capsules were much too large for the machine.)

(4. Development of the ideas and themes of each of the capsule colors.)

(5. Production difficulties in applying sandpaper to the spray-painted surface of the capsules.)

Process Reflection:

This project was a breath of fresh air compared to the last two, which were much more programming base. I really latched onto the idea of modular design with the theme of “Emergent Complexity” with this unit. Because of this, however, my process had to be much more abstract and open-ended. There wasn’t quite as linear of a process as transducing data. The modularity aspect required me to come up with many separate ideas, and consider how this would affect each other idea individually and collectively. This ended up taking a lot of time, because I wanted each of the four capsule colors to be pretty distinct in how they encouraged physical engagement (via their component), and how they inspired artistic/performance ideas (via the suggestion slips). Overall, I believe this was pretty successful, and I like what I ended up with. I believe I am more comfortable being open ended in my instruction – providing suggestions rather than strict instructions.

The actual act of fabrication was relatively new to this project as well, which I enjoyed. I did have initial difficulties finding the right kind of capsules. But I loved the colors they turned out with. I do believe I want to continue working on this project, possibly adding more capsule types, or just refining the idea in general.

90% Complete Critique: 12-2-20

I have spent the last week and a half developing the the theoretical and thematic aspects of the work, figuring out how the system “works”, so to speak.

A larger order of clear spherical capsules is supposed to be coming in tomorrow, but I actually did happen to find some by digging through a drawer of mine. In this image, I’ve outlined the four different colors of capsules and what they contain. Each of the four colors has a physical component, providing a unique method of interaction. The red capsules contain ball bearings, facilitating “shaker” like percussive interaction. The yellow capsules have a small sandpaper strip on the outside, encouraging two capsules to be struck or scratched together. The blue capsules come with a string “connector” which allows two capsules to be connected together. The green capsules are filled with a ball of modeling clay to act as a weight, which adds mass as an element to be played around with when combining capsule components.

Capsules also contain “suggestions” written on strips of paper to inspire methods of using the capsules as instruments.

Here are some prototypes for the “Red” and “Blue” type capsules:

I’ve also obtained the materials necessary for completing the rest of the capsules and finishing the project.

Draft project statement/narrative description –

Gumball Machine Modular Instruments (temporary title) is a collection of capsule toys designed to be used as instruments, with the ability to combine and mix the capsules to produce increasingly complex and unique instruments the more capsules one has. The capsules are contained in a gumball machine placed in a public place, meant to be obtained one at a time and played with on one’s own time. The nature of the gumball machine means that there is an element of chance in obtaining a capsule outside the user’s control. Each capsule is a toy within itself, containing a component that allows it to be interacted with alone or together with multiple other capsules if desired. Each capsule also contains a fortune cookie-inspired “suggestion”, which provides a thematic idea in order to inspire new modes of use. Through the interlocking systems of physical component and thematic idea and the ways these can be extended and combined, each user can create systems completely specific to themselves and their own collection.

Maquette Presentation: 11-23-20

The gumball machine, successfully lockpicked.

I ordered some round, colored plastic capsules. Unfortunately, I assumed when they were referenced as 2 inches in circumference, they were actually 2 inches in diameter… 🙁 I will need to find a new source of capsules, probably around 1 inch diameter.

Here is a video of me testing the gumball machine, which does require quarters, with some regular acorn shaped capsules:

Things I already have:

Gumball machine, lockpicked and usable

Ball Bearings

Magnets

Things I still need to get:

Colored, spherical capsules, ~1 inch diameter (a source still needs to be found for these)

Other fillings for the capsules, once the system is more fully developed.