Kids find their magic in the small and simple things, because their imagination fills in many gaps.  It’s the creativity and imagination which they possess that create wonder and excitement, and the grown-ups unfortunately have lost that gift!!

There were a few of incidents that really stood out for me.  All of them had to do with how children can be captivated by the most mundane things.  The first was during observation with the older three year olds.  They were being taught what to do when they had to sneeze (use a tissue etc).  So one kid kept sneezing over and over, and did a sort of a dance each time!  He was just fascinated by sneezing!  Another time I saw a little girl be very excited because there was a cloth tied around her back, and it was probably her magic cape.  She just kept running around the playground showing it off!  Another time a teacher was demonstrating a flying jet by tying a balloon to a string with a paper aircraft glued to it.  The kids were excited at seeing the jet fly, but they were equally happy playing with the string that held the jet in place!

I thought of the cloud project and realized that kids don’t really need a lot of technology to be captivated.  We can use many simple things to hold their attention.