The interaction that I will be discussing occurred in the outside play area between three children from the 4’s class. These three children were chasing one another with hula-hoops around the large play structure in the center of the playground. One of the girls dropped her hula-hoop while she was running and the two other children noticed that when she dropped it, it proceeded to roll for some feet. This sparked the interest of the other children and they began to intentionally roll their hula-hoops. I was interested in how one unexpected mistake suddenly commanded the attention of all the children in the group. It was fascinating to see these children use the hula-hoops in a way they had not previously known was possible. It looked as though all three of the children were excited by this discovery, but after about a minute they decided return to their running game. I think that this interacting demonstrates the Initiative stage of Erik Erikson’s model for developmental psychology. The children were very interested in trying out this new discovery for themselves. After witnessing this interaction, I think incorporating surprise into the final project will work well. If the children are able to interact with something familiar in an unfamiliar way, I believe that will hold their attention. Moving forward, I would like to incorporate these ideas into the final project.