While we were at the children’s school, I was able to observe the kids participating in activities in the make shop. It was great to see kids as young as 5 and 6 learning about building. I saw kids use hand drills, hammers, and various hardware. The make shop satisfies the autonomy and industry objective of the school as it allows kids to create and change physical objects on their own. It was interesting to see how the kids reacted to the instructions and the task at hand.

I found that the kids were very attentive and excited as they were being given a new tool such as a drill or hammer. I think this is because these are associated as tools for older people. This excitement would hold their attention for a little while as they figured out how to use the tool and then completed the task a few times. They were not very interested in the instruction about the use of the tool. The kids tended to listen when they were having trouble with the task, but otherwise they tried to figure it out themselves. Completing the task tested their initiative a little, but not as much as more intuitive activities. Many of the make shop activities are too complicated for kids to figure out on their own.

Once some of the kids were bored of drilling or hammering, they moved on to playing with magnetic blocks. The blocks did not create as much initial excitement, but they did keep the children’s attention for longer. I believe it held their attention longer because it allowed for more creativity. Drilling and hammering did not offer the kids as much variety in the process or even final result.

Overall, I found that kids enjoy tasks that make them feel more grown up, but that also allow them to be creative in how they solve or complete an activity.