This form resembles a grimace, and the emotion is slightly alleviated by the delicate blue lace. The movement is overpowering, however, and the jagged twitches of the pneumatic form write a story for the fabric (in my mind, it’s an upset Belle in a fancy ballroom dress).

For my next form, I wanted to experiment with ridges and other details, so I made one panel of vinyl much smaller than its counterpart on the bottom. This form resembled a breathing pattern, with sharp gasps and a slower, more subtle release. Draping it in organza actually accentuated its movements, with the folds of the fabric emphasizing the repetitive motions. The vinyl model now has an aggressive, nagging quality to it. It almost mimics punching, or leaping. 

The next form clenches like a fist and it feels angsty, aggravated. I added organza ruffles to explore the disparity between such a tight and angry figure and loose, gentle flaps. They concealed both the movement and emotion of the original form, and it’s hard to make out its initial motion. The second video (in which I used a syringe instead of the black pump) looks like a time lapse of a flower in bloom, which is an interesting contrast to its bare form.