This first pneumatic is meant to emphasize the feeling of tension and frustration. A folded piece of paper is taped to the pneumatic and clenches dramatically when the air is sucked out by the syringe. The sound that occurs when the air is sucked out of the pneumatic emphasizes that moment of tension. However, once the air is back in the pneumatic the paper conveys this emotive quality of relaxation.

The second pneumatic object conveys a sense of shock. When the pump sends a burst of air into the pneumatic, the two foam pieces spread apart almost as if they were surprised. It was fun to see the sudden burst of air translate into the fast motion. It would be interesting to try to extend this idea to a larger array of objects to observe the large sweeping gestures this system can generate.

This last pneumatic is meant to investigate the pneumatic as an extension of the body, in this case, my hand. To anthropomorphize the pneumatic, I drew a hand on some chipboard and attached it to the pneumatic. The hand helped me to observe the gestural potential not only of the plastic envelope itself but of the plastic tubing and the pump and the capabilities of the pneumatic system to create wide-sweeping gestures.