Assignment 1 – Feedback Playlist

Over this past summer, I tried to diversify my taste in music, and one of the ways I did so was by creating stations from songs I like. The idea of using music streaming services to create new stations from an existing song reminded me a lot of the Google Image video we watched, and so I got the idea to create a playlist starting with a song I liked (“Dance Apocalyptic” by Janelle Monáe), creating a station from that song, adding the new song the station played to the playlist, and repeating the process with the new song.

Like the Google Image video, I also had some constraints. Firstly, new stations frequently started with the song they were originated from, so if this happened I would skip the song and go to the next one. I also didn’t want repeat songs later, so if a song that was already on the playlist appeared, I would do the same thing.

Here is the playlist my project created!

The playlist ended up traversing many different genres, which was really cool and fun to watch as it transitioned gradually but ended up going in a lot of different genres. Here is a simplified overview of how the playlist progresses, with a sample songs from the playlist:

1. Contemporary R&B/Funk – “Dance Apocalyptic” by Janelle Monáe
  2. 90s/2000s R&B/Rap – “Only You-Bad Boy Remix (feat. The Notorious B.I.G. & Mase)” by 112, The Notorious B.I.G., Mase
  3. Contemporary Rap – “F**k With You” by Pia Mia, G-Eazy
  4. Pop R&B/Rap – “I’m the One (feat. Justin Bieber, Quavo, Chance the Rapper & Lil Wayne)” by DJ Khaled, Justin Bieber, Quavo, Chance the Rapper, Lil Wayne
  5. Pop – “Wildest Dreams” by Taylor Swift
  6. 2000s Acoustic Rock – “I’ll Be” by Edwin McCain
  7. 2000s Pop – “Irreplaceable” by Beyoncé
  8. Pop – “We Can’t Stop” by Miley Cyrus
  9. 2000s Hip Hop – “Sexy Can I feat. Yung Berg” by Ray J
  10. Alternative R&B – “Just Friends (Sunny)” by Musiq Soulchild
  11. Acoustic/Indie – “feelings are fatal” by mxmtoon
  12. Alternative/Indie – “Let Me Die” by Lil Happy Lil Sad
  13. Pop Punk – “GRRRLS” by AViVA
  14. Acoustic/Pop – “Colour Me” by Juke Ross