Sfrankel – Assignment 1: In Memory of the Beep Boop

When I was sitting down to do this project, I really wanted to find a way to combine both pre-recorded and live sound. The technology I used was my phone, using voice memos, and my laptop, using audacity, to record the whole process. I first recorded my voice as almost an intro to this recording. I then found the audio of the beep boop on the official Carnegie Mellon University Instagram page as its memorial to the change of our favorite crosswalk sound. I used my phone’s voice memos application to record my process as I used my computer’s speaker and microphone to continuously record onto audacity using the acoustics of my bedroom in my apartment. I am really interested in the relationship between human voice and technology so being able to hear the difference between the two in dramatic distortion was really exciting for me. 

It took me a while to come upon this process as my knowledge of Audacity is very limited. I found it to be really cool though to use the technology I have accessible to me of my laptop, social media and my phone in order to create this project.