samuelgo – Assignment 3: Ayyye … Yaaar

This week’s assignment submission brought to you by pirates!

I chose my trusty Amen break sample to serve as convolution guinea pig for this assignment.

I went hunting for acoustical spaces of note around my neighborhood. The first interesting IR I captured was in a hallway in an apartment building. There was a nice twangy high frequency resonance to this hallway, evident in the tail of the captured IR.

The next IR I captured was in the basement of a building. The basement in question was solid concrete and I was expecting a decent IR from the space, but the positioning of the microphone turned out to dampen the perceived spaciousness and alas I was out of balloons …

Next I turned to Audacity in an attempt to mangle my captured IR’s into something more experimental. I stumbled upon the idea of applying an envelope filter effect to the hallway IR; the resulting convolution was satisfyingly “funky”.

An hour of experimentation later I was at a loss for what else to convolve my lovely drum break with. Then it hit me … throw a test signal at it! I generated a logarithmic sine sweep between 500Hz and 20kHz, and sure enough the resulting convolution was weird.

All audio files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DACjS4VHza50fQDN9yKv5htPZ3NMyx-7