The Convolution of Viola – sfrankel

Attached is a playlist of all four convoluted recordings done using four different acoustic spaces including two building atriums and two prerecorded sounds. I found the process for this assignment to be really interesting as it is really interesting to think about how music sounds in different acoustic spaces.

My main field of study is viola performance and I mostly perform classical music. I am very familiar and have always been interested with how different acoustic spaces might change my sound, such as the difference between playing in an old cathedral versus in a practice room. It is really quite interesting to think about how just the space you perform in can change not only your tone and timbre, but your intonation and rhythmic clarity.

I found this project interesting as it gave me the opportunity to try to place my own playing into different acoustic environments from the comfort of my own computer. I took an old recording of the Clarke Viola Sonata that I played on my sophomore recital and used it as my original soundtrack. I then put my recording through two different academic building acoustics. What is really interesting about this project is the ability to put your song into an abstract acoustic space, such as a screaming baby or striking metal. I found that the outcomes of both of these abstract ideas came out really well in the sense that it only exaggerated the power and boldness of the piece I was performing. If you listen to the convoluted recording of the metal strike effect, it almost puts this piece into a grand symphonic space, making the piano almost sound like timpani and the main melody emerging from a massive texture of the opening chord. The baby crying effect almost puts my sound into a mesmerizing loop that creates very interesting overtones and almost this haunting twinkling effect.