Robovend 1: Maquette and further thoughts on robots

Still not sure exactly where to situate this Robovend machine.

In one case, I envision the Robovend as a form of interactive art in the future, in some museum. It was the first collaborative vending machine that both humans and sentient human-robots (hubots) could use, and the display plaque would make that clear. There would be photos of robots and humans posing and using it in the factory where it was first  installed, and some vaguely doom -y phrasing like “remained active until lack of humans needing to use it, whereupon it was replaced with a robot-only vending machine.” Perfect 50-50 split of functionality, robo-USBs on one side and human buttons on the other.

<- Partner with these guys

In another, the robovend could be more robot focused. Maybe the robots took over, or just evolved better than we did, and because of that humans have a smaller place in the planet or market than we have now. The vending machine would still have elements of the human side, but definitely a secondhand thought. Human use would be cumbersome, and most instructions would be in robocode.

Maquette: 

• There will be many different kinds of robots, shapes and sizes and modes of getting around, so the machine should feature many forms of payment at different heights. Hence, the USB slots at different heights
  • The first robotic vending machine will be made by humans, because it requires an ability to create something that does not exist yet and I do not think the robots will be creative enough.
  • OR, it should be inconvenient for humans as an afterthought, as a form of negligence. But not outright.

Interesting directions: the parallel between us and robots (which are internet connected), and the parallel between older non-technology users and the younger, tech generation.

Also interesting: dispense robot parts and human food on reels, like pick-n-place machines.

I thought a lot about robots of the future, and how exactly they would integrate with humans in the same space. I came to a few conclusions that helped guide my intent and artifact, and then my friendly classmates and teachers gave me some more suggestions.