Alex Dragulescu’s “Real Body Meets Data Body”

Alexia Forsyth

“Real Body Meets Data Body” is part of Dragulescu’s Data Ghosts series. This painting, like others in this series, is created through software development creating a visual array of dots. The picture itself shows a person walking through what appears to be an obstacle course with a weapon in their hands. I really admire the message behind the piece: the shifting relationship between man and technology. He raises questions concerning technological addictions and ethics. I also appreciate how it harmonizes with the other pieces in his Data Ghosts series.

The artist does not go into specifics on what program they used to develop the art, only saying: “ His projects bridge multiple computational domains including information visualization, social media design, and computer games…” (Dragulescu). The program looks to have specific lines to develop the relative shape and then a command to fill in between spaces randomly with a certain number of dots. I assume he utilized functions like “random()”. Dragulescu’s artistry appears in the unique shapes he computes and his mastery over three-dimensional computation.

Link: https://www.archivebay.com/site/sq.ro–2020-05-17__13-15-46–759493