Looking Outwards 02: Generative Art

Project: Purform – The White Box, Audiovisual Performance, 2010

“This cycle metaphorically transposes, into sounds and images, concepts from systems theory related to black, white and grey boxes.”

I admire the aesthetics and fluidity of this project. The combination of the wide range of sounds and dynamic abstract visuals and their harmony of working together allows the audience to be fully absorbed into the piece. I am especially inspired by how the visual and audio components work together and are dependent on each other to make this piece whole. This piece is almost inviting; its fluidity and dynamicism pulls and mesmerizes the audience in and be in synch with the audio and visuals. I suppose the project was made by a looping code that was taught to react to sound vibrations and audio stimuli, and translate it into a random visual or shape. The artists’ (Alain Thibault for music, Yan Breuleux for visuals, and Jean-Sebastien Rousseau and Peter Dines for the program) sensibilities all come together to create one aesthetically and fundamentally cohesive and effective piece.

link to YouTube video