LO2 Generative Puzzles

The piece of work that I find super interesting is a series of generative jigsaw puzzles from the site called “Nervous System” 

https://n-e-r-v-o-u-s.com/shop/line.php?code=12/

This project was created by two MIT designers who wanted to put a spin on traditional puzzles. These puzzles are created uniquely with custom software which makes the design of the puzzle super intricate, as well as the actual jig-saw pieces themselves. THe pieces are shaped but using natural patterns which are generatively produced, ultimately making these puzzles a bit more challenging than a typical jig-saw puzzle. Although puzzles may be boring for some, I enjoy solving puzzles and these generative puzzles would be even more stimulating. The software that creates the interlocking pieces is based off of a crystal growth process called “dendritic solidification”. This process in an art form becomes quite complex, because in nature, a crystal would grow in one direction; however, for the puzzle, the software must make one puzzle piece that “grows”, and another symmetric piece that matches each extension piece. Additionally, the software has different designs for different states of matter, creating different sort of crystal formations for different puzzles. Based on this, I would assume that the creates are interested in nature, science, and geology as well as programming. Overall, I am very fascinated and impressed with the complexity of this software, and it also has a fun benefit!

Here is an example of one of the puzzles