Blog 3

Computational Design
Looking at the link to the pinterest board titled “computational design”, a lot of interesting and unique patterns are saved onto the board. Some are more geometric while others are more organic but they all seem to fit together as a whole. I often am pretty pessimistic and feel like I don’t learn as much as I would like to in classes and moments like these are nice because they show that I actually have. If you asked me three weeks ago how I thought that these patterns were created I wouldn’t have been able to tell you, but after learning the random line generation code I have a simplified idea of how they were made. It seems like a lot of interesting and efficient patterns can be made this way. Unlike people the computer can consider and compute an answer while considering tons of variables. For example structure, weight, direction, etc can all become complex variables that are called upon while creating a pattern like the ones we saw. A lot of these kind of look like those “futuristic” ultra light shoes that companies love making renderings of.