LookingOutwards-04 (Section A)

I was interested by the “Mozart style Sonata 3-3” by David Cope. I find it interesting how a computer can create music that actually sounds like music to people– opposed to just having random notes played. Originally, I thought Cope had coded all the of the music just through code and I was really impressed. Cope’s artistic sensibilities are revealed because he would have to understand music theory to be able to produce music. At the same time, he would also have to understand Mozarts style very well to be able to create code that produced music that was similar.

However, I as was looking into how it was made, I read comments that said that it seemed like just a mash up of many of Mozart’s Sonatas. In this case, his code may just be taking parts of Mozart’s Sonatas and having the computer put it togther. If this is the case, this is not quite as advanced as I thought but I still think the music is pretty cool!

I’m not sure which one it is. If Cope was really able to code all of the music to sound like Mozart and the computer generated all of it, that is really impressive but either way, it is interesting how computers can create music which is usually thought to be very human.

Here is the link by David Cope. 2013. “Mozart style Sonata 3-3.”