looking outwards – 05

Hybrid Forms by Andy Lomas

The artist known for his unique vases and coral-like structures is generally fascinated by how natural forms manifest, grow, and expound from one another. I think this sensibility of his culminates perfectly in Hybrid Forms where he extends on the prior work Cellular Forms in which he creates his graphics, generative art to present the valorization of what seems to be microscopic entities. I like how Lomas goes above and beyond his primary attraction to coral and plant-type structures to, usually, more dynamic ones found in bacteria, viruses, and animals. Cellular + Hybrid forms strive to show these structures and growth through code that generates literal cells that compete with each other, “iterated over tens of thousands of time steps, with final structures having over a hundred million cells and remarkably complex morphologies.” I think the bacteria and virus associations are heavy, but the animal threshold is just broken through with Hybrid Forms as many graphics become similar to jellyfish or water bears in my mind. Nonetheless, static images are amazing, of the structures, but the videos are even better.

https://www.andylomas.com/hybridForms.html