anabelle’s blog 06

One work of random art that I enjoy is the infinite biome generation of Minecraft. Minecraft can create infinte, borderless worlds filled with a plethora of biomes, structures, and landforms. In my opinion, Minecraft’s unlimited ability to generate unique world after unique world is what keeps it at the top of the gaming market. From observation, I think Minecraft uses perlin noise/randomness to generate its biomes — none of the scenery changes feel jarring and the game has an overall organic, natural feeling to it. I just find it really cool that Minecraft is able to randomize SO many elements to bring together an organized, cohesive piece. For example, it doesn’t just randomize whether it’ll generate an ocean biome or desert biome; the biomes themselves have randomly generated elements so no two oceans are alike. Furthermore, Minecraft stores each generated “seed” or world so they can be reaccessed for whoever wants to explore a specific world. Minecraft never lets its audience become bored by constantly adding new, consistently creative randomized events that give the joy of open-world exploration with each play.

Some cool minecraft worlds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFHj4E_1o6E&ab_channel=Minecraft%26Chill

(Like, can you believe these seeds spawned naturally, rather than a player going in and building the biome themself? It’s so cool!)