anabelle’s blog 07

http://manovich.net/index.php/exhibitions/on-broadway

One work I found inspiring was Lev Manovich’s “On Broadway.” It resonated with me for two reasons: one, I’m writing this blog while in NYC (hence, Broadway) and two, I appreciate the lack of numbers and traditional data in the project. Overall, I’m not too big on STEM and mathematics, so this feels like a unique approach that tries to broaden the statistical audience to the average math hating person. I also think this approach was generally successful — anyone who views this gains a comprehensive survey of Manhattan even without the physical data (I mean, I find that when I’m reading actual statistics, I generally gloss over the figures and take away the big idea more than anything else anyways). I also liked this project because I felt as if it was something even I could recreate (albeit on a smaller scale). It seems like a lot of data storage (and we’ve learned about NUMEROUS ways to represent and store data already) and visual representation (and this is a creative computing class!). It’s inspiring to think large projects like this are within my reach