Looking Outwards -09 : A Focus on Women and Non-binary Practitioners in Computational Art

I really admire Camille Utterback’s project Text Rain not because of the complexity of the program itself, but when the project is produced. First, I need to introduce who Camille is. She is an American Interactive Installation artist who graduated from William College and gained her master’s degree from the Interactive Telecommunications Program at New York University’s Tisch School of the Arts. Why I prefer her Text Rain installation is because her work is groundbreaking or one of the first of such type (Interactive Installation). Her work might not look impressive at our time, since her program is basically about capturing the silhouette of pedestrians and making random letters float on them. However, because of this “simple” (compared to nowadays interactive projects) installation, which was created during 1999, more and more interactive public installations that we might see on streets were created, making Camille Utterback a pioneer of such computational forms of art.

Text Rain – by Camille Utterback and Romy Achituv:

Link: http://camilleutterback.com/projects/text-rain/