2. Looking Outwards 11: Societal Impacts of Digital Art

While reading the article ‘NFTs and Copyright’ I released the unethical use of art and artworks in the new digital world. In my opinion, obviously it isn’t right for an artwork to be sold off at an online auction without the consent of the artist, but that won’t cloud the reality that it happens, more so now than before the boom of the internet. Reading about the impact NFTs have had on this was awakening and it made me wonder as an artist if it is even right to put out your work on digital platforms where anyone can access it and potentially illegally sell it and make money. Although NFTs are a great source for artists to earn money as it has opened up an entirely new avenue of revenue generation for artists. I was amazed to learn about how NFTs operate and how the token is for copyright and ownership, however, it is kind of terrifying to hear and learn how unethically it can be used. I honestly do not know if this problem could be curbed, but I sincerely hope that they introduce more rigorous checks to ensure that the artwork’s token is the right copyright holder of that piece, as it sounds like an interesting avenue for new generation artists.

Link