Research Study: Part B

I initially proposed the idea of a toolkit for children to introduce them to pneumatic soft robots, comprised of various materials and folding patterns.

Based off of the reading, I have assigned the following changes to my initial proposal.

1. The incorporation of sensing and input to produce a physical change, this could be controlled through an air pump provided in the kit.
  2. Compression with non-elastic bags could be used in the kit, they can behave like biceps to bend not only paper but even thin sheets of wood. There can be some exploration with plastic welding patterns using longer plastic strips. Another approach can be providing different airbag sizes that children can then be attached to strips of paper.

Lining Yao, Ryuma Niiyama, Jifei Ou, Sean Follmer, Clark Della Silva, and Hiroshi Ishii. PneUI: pneumatically actuated soft composite materials for shape changing interfaces. In Proceedings of the 26th annual ACM symposium on User interface software and technology, UIST ’13, 13–22. Association for Computing Machinery, 2013. doi:10.1145/2501988.2502037.