Baker Hall Shenanigans

I recorded 2 balloon pops in Baker Hall, because I’ve always loved the incredible reverb you can get if you stand in just the right spots. The first one was recorded directly under the center of the dome just inside the main Baker doors, with the Zoom recorder about 2 feet from the balloon, pointed directly at it (which probably wasn’t the best orientation in retrospect). The second one was recorded from all the way down at the other end of the building in Porter Hall, with the balloon in the same spot. The sounds I got were surprisingly different, so I decided to use both. The third sound is actually me tapping directly onto the microphone of the media lab computer, recorded straight into audacity. The fourth IR is an excerpt from a piece by one of my favorite composers, Hector Berlioz’s Symphonie fantastique. Here they are in order:

The signal I convolved was an audio clip of me attempting to play a staccato version of Mac Miller’s ROS on the piano:

Here’s a playlist of the audio clip convolved with the 4 different IR recordings: